Saturday, June 9, 2012

Surreality

I don't think a day has gone by where the thought hasn't popped in my head during language class or sitting across from my host mom at lunch that it is so strange that I am here. I am in a village most of the world (and probably most of Georgia) has never even heard of. You won't find the Google Maps van rolling by to take pictures of my house. I am also in a country that you rarely here about in the nightly news. I live with a family who doesn't speak my language or understand my culture but are some of the nicest people I have ever encountered. I eat their food, use their computer, and occupy part of their house. For some reason, they are okay with this. If it were not for joining the Peace Corps, I never would have met these people. I do not get nightly American news. I do not have to see countless campaign ads or worry about anything I had to worry about back home like a job or how I will pay my loans back. I have other worries like when I will be near a toilet with toilet paper while I am out and about or how well my language proficiency is coming along.

It is a different experience but I am enjoying it more and more everyday. It has its downfalls. And I might sing a different tune after PST is over with and I will be wherever without the other volunteers around to interact with. I am looking forward to the next stage nonetheless. I find out my site placement on Monday. I will let you know how it goes. Oh, and I will get you all pictures someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment